HomeViral CentralCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
Everything is going well. If anybody has anything they'd like put up in the announcements, let Master-Raiden know.

Share | 

Pirate Kings Playtest

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
Stoneskin

PostSubject: Pirate Kings Playtest   Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:52 am

I finished a new map, and it's ready for beta playtesting. I will wait a few days before I start the game, so whoever is interested in testing the map is welcome to join me.

Objective: accumulate 5000 gold
Features: most of the map is covered by sea, but a significant portion is continual landmass; all custom heroes and items

Dark Elves: Travis II
Humans: Stoneskin
Orcs: Oleg123
Undead: Lord AI
Note: except for Undead, race has little impact on strategy until the late game

Last edited by Stoneskin on Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:21 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://aow.heavengames.com/downloads/showprofile.php?author=Ston
Travis II

PostSubject: Re: Pirate Kings Playtest   Mon Dec 28, 2009 4:47 pm

Sure, I'm in. I need some more games anyways! I'll take Dark Elves unless someone else really really wants them in which case I'll take Undead.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stoneskin

PostSubject: Re: Pirate Kings Playtest   Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:20 pm

Humans' turn 1 sent.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://aow.heavengames.com/downloads/showprofile.php?author=Ston
Travis II

PostSubject: Re: Pirate Kings Playtest   Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:42 pm

Capture a few things.

I hope the towns near where the Humans start aren't Lizards. They would be able to buy them unless you manually put units in on guard.

Turn sent
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stoneskin

PostSubject: Re: Pirate Kings Playtest   Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:27 pm

Don't worry about that. I already thought of that.
Back to top Go down
Stoneskin

PostSubject: Re: Pirate Kings Playtest   Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:03 pm

Humans' day 2 sent.
Back to top Go down
Travis II

PostSubject: Re: Pirate Kings Playtest   Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:42 pm

Turn sent

Restart message due to my leader dying. I went ahead and restarted since this is a playtest. I'll try to be more careful Razz

I was wondering something, did you raid that monster lair in your first turn or is there just nothing in it yet.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stoneskin

PostSubject: Re: Pirate Kings Playtest   Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:50 pm

Indeed, don't hesitate to test things and to restart. Testing everything is our goal.

Why don't you go take a look at that cave ? Maybe I should put a dummy item in it ?
Back to top Go down
Travis II

PostSubject: Re: Pirate Kings Playtest   Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:00 am

No need to look? It says it's Explored when I click on it... what is it, a trap? Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stoneskin

PostSubject: Re: Pirate Kings Playtest   Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:34 am

There's an event message and an encounter on that island. I wanted it to look suspicious with the "Explored" status, but I didn't know what to do to motivate players to go on the island. Also, I just realized that players that see it later in the game will just assume that it is really explored. Like I said before, I'll put a dummy item.

Humans' day 3 sent.
Back to top Go down
Travis II

PostSubject: Re: Pirate Kings Playtest   Fri Jan 01, 2010 12:13 pm

Ahh, well I'll check it out soon.

Nothing done today.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stoneskin

PostSubject: Re: Pirate Kings Playtest   Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:54 pm

Day 4 sent.
Back to top Go down
Travis II

PostSubject: Re: Pirate Kings Playtest   Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:51 pm

Turn sent
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stoneskin

PostSubject: Re: Pirate Kings Playtest   Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:33 am

Day 5 and 6 sent.
Back to top Go down
Travis II

PostSubject: Re: Pirate Kings Playtest   Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:27 pm

Spot Undead and Orcs today.

Turn sent
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stoneskin

PostSubject: Re: Pirate Kings Playtest   Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:02 pm

Humans' day 7 sent.

What are your thoughts at this point of the game ?
Back to top Go down
Travis II

PostSubject: Re: Pirate Kings Playtest   Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:01 am

Turn sent

Playing blind is really killing me, I see Oleg was able to stumble upon a 3H that isn't blocked by a ship like the human town south of where I start.

The map itself seems put together fine. I don't know need more time to better judge on that.

Currently I have the lizards I've produced, my ship, and my leader. I lost an archer to 1 Wyvern, everything else died from the other Wyvern that attacked overnight.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stoneskin

PostSubject: Re: Pirate Kings Playtest   Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:08 am

There was a reason these islands were called "Wyvern Islands"... and that the sign said to look out for sea monsters...

About that human 3hex: you can easily defeat the ship; it's just a matter of knowing how. A few lizard swordsmen with a ship will trash an enemy ship before it can do serious damage (to your ship, since the AI only attacks it). Try it. Also, that town's defenses are balanced with the other ones (ship included), barely tougher, but there's a bonus for the little extra work you need to apply to get it. Believe me, it's worth getting that town first.

What's wrong with playing blind ? Send a few scouts to look around. You'll see that there are plenty of things near your starting position and many paths to choose to achieve your goals. You just need to pick your targets; you can't get them all, though you can plot to do so in the long run.

Did you lose Tioren ? He wasn't a tough guy, you know...

About the victory condition: I put 5000 gold (the maximum variable) because I didn't know what would be the optimal amount before I finished at least one real game. We'll need to discuss the income curve to see what would be an acceptable amount to declare a winner.

Thanks for the positive comments. I spent many hours fine tuning that map. I know it still needs some final touches though. But, beta testing isn't only about being positive, it's about being ruthless with the product, trying to rip it apart to discover its weaknesses. Trying things out and restarting is a normal process. I want this map to be nothing less than perfect :p.

If you've really put yourself in a bad position, we should replay the last turns. I would like us to have similar strenght to really be able to test the map. Otherwise, we may miss structural weaknesses.

Just to let you know, I already own two 1hex, one 2hex, two 3hex (one of which I can't defend), 2 mines, a power node, a tower, a shipyard and 11 units. In theory, we should have comparable strenght by day 10. Oleg, do you read this thread ? I'd really appreciate your input.
Back to top Go down
Stoneskin

PostSubject: Re: Pirate Kings Playtest   Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:56 am

Humans' day 8 sent.

I am unsatisfied with the humans' progress. I already own two more 2hex cities and another mine. I got one of my 3hex by taking advantage of an area guarding party. It gave me enough gold this turn to overthrow a lizard town. I now have an income of 165 gold. I am clearly leading this game now. It saddens me that humans can take an advantage so early. I would consider making some adjustments to the map and restarting this game. Would you mind ? I think this is for the best.

On another note, I will forever be amazed about how combat can be so drastic in this game. I lost my 7 defense hero with 8hp in 4 shots of the last elf archer defending a town... Deadly precision !
Back to top Go down
Travis II

PostSubject: Re: Pirate Kings Playtest   Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:07 am

I understood the Wyvern island I just really expected the gold there to be more than it was.

I'm not worried about replaying (another test game is fine) but yeah, I am toasted, it's ok.

Still don't like that ship.. plus the shipyard is across the mountain, that town is isolated!

I don't have much at all, I have - a 2H, two 1H's, a Mana Node, a Gold Mine, a Farm, a Shipyard. Oh and heh, a watchtower Razz

Units - 7 Lizard Archers out and about, Leader, and the starting ship.

I lost my hero to a Wyvern.

I don't claim to be the best AoW player but certainly not the worst. One of my strengths is knowing the map.

Also, not trying to bash your work or anything, it's a good map so far.

Teleported into the Dwarven land way up Northwest. Hope there's not any guard area guys..

Turn sent!

[Edit] - You posted just before me. If you need to make adjustments you may do so. There's no reason to continue playing what the map won't be.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Oleg123

PostSubject: Re: Pirate Kings Playtest   Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:59 am

Hello guys!

I guess I had to visit this thread earlier. From the area I explored and after casting one Bird View I thought percentage of solid land to be lower than it seem to be. Also, if I knew there are events and such I would probably explore more.

Right now I own Lizards 2hex and Elven 3hex that will become Lizards' on the next turn. There are also two mines, Power and Air nodes (killed the AA guard by Death rays while migrating the 3hex). IIRC I lost no units due to more than usuall luck in battles (including the AA missing twice a row on my Leader having 3HP). Third Turtle Ballista to be produced on the next turn (the only units I've been producing so far). Leader to level up for the first time on the next turn. That makes me average, I guess.

To make player enter a explored location, one can put a sign hinting that raider might left something, after all. And then if you put next to it a gold pile partially concealed by some vegetation, he will most probably go ther expecting to find only a few gold coins Smile

Funny, I thought I met Stoneskin, not Travis Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stoneskin

PostSubject: Re: Pirate Kings Playtest   Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:08 am

You guys should send scouting units as soon as you can to explore the surroundings. Intelligence is key is the first turns. Learning how to play "blind" can only make you a better player. You will not always know what you will be expecting in a map. In my case, unless I am certain that every other player has already played a map, I play as if I did not know the map. I ask myself "With my current knowledge only, what would I do ?"

I made many modifications:

- Players start with 150 gold instead of 250
- Parties on the islands set to guard area were set to guard instead
- More gold in the gold pile as was expected by Travis
- Victory is achieved with 2500 gold
- Balanced the undead with the new conditions
- Information added to the overview

Humans' day 1 sent.

Last edited by Stoneskin on Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:01 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Travis II

PostSubject: Re: Pirate Kings Playtest   Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:57 am

A better first turn than last due to better starting magic. Several units are poisoned but none were lost.

It is too bad you cannot set what spells you start out with in AoW

Turn sent
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stoneskin

PostSubject: Re: Pirate Kings Playtest   Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:50 am

I guess randomization prevents players to start with the best spells of each sphere every time.
Back to top Go down
Master-Raiden
Overlord Warlock

PostSubject: Re: Pirate Kings Playtest   Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:15 am

Sounds like an interesting map.

PostSubject: Re: Pirate Kings Playtest   

Back to top Go down

Pirate Kings Playtest
Page 1 of 6Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Viral Games :: Age of Wonders-
Jump to: