HomeViral CentralCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
Everything is going well. If anybody has anything they'd like put up in the announcements, let Master-Raiden know.

Share | 

Pirate Kings Playtest

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
Stoneskin

PostSubject: Pirate Kings Playtest   Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:52 am

First topic message reminder :

I finished a new map, and it's ready for beta playtesting. I will wait a few days before I start the game, so whoever is interested in testing the map is welcome to join me.

Objective: accumulate 5000 gold
Features: most of the map is covered by sea, but a significant portion is continual landmass; all custom heroes and items

Dark Elves: Travis II
Humans: Stoneskin
Orcs: Oleg123
Undead: Lord AI
Note: except for Undead, race has little impact on strategy until the late game

Last edited by Stoneskin on Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:21 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://aow.heavengames.com/downloads/showprofile.php?author=Ston

AuthorMessage
Travis II

PostSubject: Re: Pirate Kings Playtest   Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:04 am

I had 2 boar riders attack me in the night, not this turn, but day 11.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stoneskin

PostSubject: Re: Pirate Kings Playtest   Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:01 am

Humans' day 13 sent.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://aow.heavengames.com/downloads/showprofile.php?author=Ston
Travis II

PostSubject: Re: Pirate Kings Playtest   Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:42 am

Hmm all the towns seem to be of good race (that I have seen). This allows for the Humans to not have to migrate whereas all the other players would have to. I know you know this so I'm curious to know what it is you did to have balanced it?

Turn sent
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stoneskin

PostSubject: Re: Pirate Kings Playtest   Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:55 pm

Not all of them are inhabited by a good race. Indeed, almost all the towns Foltz will encounter will be inhabited by those. To keep the theme of the map, I wanted to exclude cities with an evil race except for the cities that will be migrated to the undead by Black Despair. This gives the evil players access to cities that the humans cannot use. Scurvy Scrag has early access to a good number of human cities, and can battle Black Despair for a large amount of azrac cities.

Black Despair has to migrate every city he encounters, but he has a very strategic location on the map, ease of access to the mainland, and a very strong race.

Foltz, like Black Despair, has a very strategic location on the map and a better earlier income curve to compensate for migration. But I guess he'll lag a little in production and income in mid game. I used to give Foltz a big gold pile instead of a mana treasure (remember that ?). I think I'll switch it back to compensate for the migration problems; it's true that Foltz will probably lag behind Scrag. The human island protected by a ship is really more for Foltz than anybody else, since he detects it straight from the start. The goodies of that island should somewhat compensate.

ts
Back to top Go down
Travis II

PostSubject: Re: Pirate Kings Playtest   Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:37 pm

Hmm well I think it would be a huge advantage that the humans can use every race on the map except the undead. I understand the need to not have evil races in cities though with 3 evil players.

Time and testing will tell pirat

Turn sent
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stoneskin

PostSubject: Re: Pirate Kings Playtest   Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:09 pm

I changed back the mana crystals to 200+ gold for Foltz. I also removed the teleporter guards. That should help a lot.
Back to top Go down
Travis II

PostSubject: Re: Pirate Kings Playtest   Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:02 pm

Yeah that would change some things up nicely.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Oleg123

PostSubject: Re: Pirate Kings Playtest   Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:43 pm

Crap, I wasted a lot to make Humans like me so I can buy out their cities. Now I see that I can't because the garrisons want sell themselves. Andit took longer to realize than it could due to some drawbacks.... I am in deep trouble...

ts
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stoneskin

PostSubject: Re: Pirate Kings Playtest   Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:07 am

ts
Back to top Go down
Travis II

PostSubject: Re: Pirate Kings Playtest   Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:54 am

Very nice attempt on my leader stoneskin Smile

ts
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stoneskin

PostSubject: Re: Pirate Kings Playtest   Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:22 am

ts x2
Back to top Go down
Travis II

PostSubject: Re: Pirate Kings Playtest   Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:50 am

If the humans kill my turtles I will be mighty sad!

turn sent
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stoneskin

PostSubject: Re: Pirate Kings Playtest   Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:07 am

ts
Back to top Go down
Travis II

PostSubject: Re: Pirate Kings Playtest   Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:21 am

Heh, anyone made contact with the AI Undead yet? I had forgotten they were even around. I don't think it would be very easy to play as them.. being that they have to solely use Undead.

Turn sent
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stoneskin

PostSubject: Re: Pirate Kings Playtest   Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:43 pm

No, I didn't make contact with them. But don't worry about them. I gave them a few perks so that they can be competitive.

ts
Back to top Go down
Oleg123

PostSubject: Re: Pirate Kings Playtest   Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:25 am

Undead are crazy and attacked me on sight.
Meanwhile, Dark Elves do not declare war on us, but insist on sticking their noses into my realm. There is nothing for you. Look, there are the rest 6/7 of the region, go there!

ts
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stoneskin

PostSubject: Re: Pirate Kings Playtest   Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:24 pm

ts x3
Back to top Go down
Travis II

PostSubject: Re: Pirate Kings Playtest   Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:40 pm

Turn sent

I still think Humans have superior advantage.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stoneskin

PostSubject: Re: Pirate Kings Playtest   Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:18 am

What if you had 200+ more gold in the beginning ? I mentionned that earlier.

I'll change the elf and halfling cities on the islands for lizards with guards. I wanted some more flavor, but it probably just screws gameplay.

I could switch teleporter destinations between Foltz and Black Despair. Foltz would end up southwest with a bunch of azrac cities, while Black Despair would end up northwest migrating all the good cities. I don't like that option much because the azrac land worked well for Black Despair and would probably overpower Foltz. But I'll find a way to balance things out...

I still think that Scurvy Scrag has the most precarious position in the long run, being stuck in the middle of everybody, but he does get a strong early position...

John Crulen gets a good start, but will have trouble with the huge front to maintain.

As for my part, I'm doing ok. Income is mediocre, and my armies must hold a very large territory. I'm not currently in a position to win this game. It is still early to know the winner.

This might end up in a very tense staring contest. Cunning will declare this game's winner, as I wanted this map to be. The gold objective adds a strong unknown factor in strategy, and it forces difficult decisions.

So, any thoughts on the matter ? I really need your input. I really want this map to work !

ts
Back to top Go down
Travis II

PostSubject: Re: Pirate Kings Playtest   Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:25 am

Well, having only played the Dark Elves I can't say much.

More gold helps always of course, but I don't know if it will really make him any stronger.

The teleports are fine, but something should be done. I have spent most of my time in this game just migrating towns. I guess changing the halfling and elven towns to lizardmen would help.

John Crulen doesn't seem to having trouble maintaining anything.. maybe if Scurvy Scrag was at war with him too.

It should be a stipulation that there be no peace or alliances.

I agree, I want this map to work as well. I was working on a 1 surface island map, but never got this close to finishing it.

Turn sent
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stoneskin

PostSubject: Re: Pirate Kings Playtest   Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:02 am

I will do this:

- Remove the bonus income for Foltz
- Change to human all dwarven locations and the cities (3 hexes) on islands

The dwarves will be no more, but it is for a good cause !

Having only human cities at sea will provide some strategic depth, as one will need to control more lizardmen locations to be effective.

I will keep the elves and the halflings on the mainland. These locations will act as a buffer between Foltz and Scrag.

You guys want to do a second test round ? Oleg did said he screwed his play. These changes will surely greatly improve gameplay (especially for Foltz).

I await your answers impatiently.
Back to top Go down
Oleg123

PostSubject: Re: Pirate Kings Playtest   Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:26 pm

I started doing much better lately. There were a few turns that I wasted to improve my relations with Human race before I knew no settlement may join us, pirates.
So at that point the DE could crush me. Maybe they still can, but I had time to build up some army and conquired the Azracs lands (but one 3hex). Autocombat over 3 and 4 hexes favored me a lot.
My next target could be the teleporter.
I still cannot say anything at all balance issues as I did not have any scouts in others' territory. So I still do not have many clues about the map and do not even know how I did relatively to any other player this time.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Travis II

PostSubject: Re: Pirate Kings Playtest   Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:40 pm

I am fine with starting a new round. But maybe switch up the race we play as. I am eager to try Undead because it seems like they would have the absolute hardest time in this map.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stoneskin

PostSubject: Re: Pirate Kings Playtest   Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:25 am

First turn of the new test sent to Oleg.
Back to top Go down
Oleg123

PostSubject: Re: Pirate Kings Playtest   Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:53 pm

Somewhat unlucky start since I loast a unit
ts
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Pirate Kings Playtest   

Back to top Go down

Pirate Kings Playtest
Page 3 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum