HomeViral CentralCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
Everything is going well. If anybody has anything they'd like put up in the announcements, let Master-Raiden know.

Share | 

The Fiery Gate

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Stoneskin

PostSubject: The Fiery Gate   Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:36 am

First topic message reminder :

The Fiery Gate

Humans - Stoneskin
Goblins - Oleg
Frostlings - Master-Raiden
Dark Elves - Travis

Leaders on map
Exploration
No allied victory

Last edited by Stoneskin on Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://aow.heavengames.com/downloads/showprofile.php?author=Ston

AuthorMessage
Master-Raiden
Overlord Warlock

PostSubject: Re: The Fiery Gate   Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:59 pm

I agree with Travis. As much as I like the advantage I seem to have... it's really unfair. I feel almost guilty as though I should HAVE to migrate as well.

PostSubject: Re: The Fiery Gate   Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:25 pm

Day 8

ts

HAHAHA ! Don't worry guys !

I'm surprised you didn't see the balancing mechanism, Travis. Let me explain.

Goblins and dark elves receive a large gold pile and four units seeking refuge to compensate for the 4 turns that they need to migrate each initial village.

17 gold x 2 villages x 4 turns = 136 gold
1 units / 2 turns x 2 villages x 4 turns = 4 units (which their equivalent in gold can be added to the gold boni)

Furthermore, goblin and dark elf mines are closer to their starting point, so 10 more initial gold.

Now, now, as if it wasn't enough, I gave 3 air spheres to the neutral races, 3 death to the dark elf and 3 earth to the goblins. The evil races thus have access to better enchantments than the neutral races (a must for the goblins, since they are a weaker race in the early game). You can't spam them, but you have them.

Did you forget that goblins have darters and cheaper units (coupled with Gold Rush, which isn't even necessary, it equals a mega spam effect in a game with few resources available), and dark elves have superior archers and storm priests ? Humans have pikes and good cavalry, but ranged status effects own them (which every race except them has). Level three units are out of the equation before the very late game (500+ gold cost, 12 turns to upgrade, install and build). Only goblins have a good chance to have level three units before turn 30 without losing.

Are the dwarves really better on this map ? Of course not. First, you have to consider the above paragraph. Sure, dwarves have mountaineering and cave crawling, but are they going to cross over mountains with rams to attack your stone walled villages and citadels ? Your most important resources are deep in your territory, so no impossible to prevent shenanigans. The goblins get night vision and cave crawling. Dark elves have night vision. All in all, all races on this map have access to units of similar power.

Indeed, all considered, the neutral races have two units' movement as a headstart if you are aggressive. But this map is very carefully balanced, it won't give you an important edge. You're not gonna get the portal or crush each other before a very reasonable time.

The map still holds surprises. Just play, and you'll love it. Excluding AI flukes, player skill is the defining factor on this map.

Convinced ?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://aow.heavengames.com/downloads/showprofile.php?author=Ston
Oleg123

PostSubject: Re: The Fiery Gate   Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:59 pm

Indies captured me a mine.

I do not mind unbalanced maps. When they favor me I win and it's fun, when they don't and I lose it's because the handicap, not me playing badly Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Master-Raiden
Overlord Warlock

PostSubject: Re: The Fiery Gate   Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:26 pm

Frostlings ~ The Eighth Day

More scouting and unnecessary paper-work. Once this is done, I'll be able to commence my assault.

Ingenious. So THAT's how this map is balanced.

PostSubject: Re: The Fiery Gate   Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:32 pm

Turn restart - playing on laptop

I'm not really convinced. Every single town I've seen is Dwarven, not just the first two 1H's nearby. Every town the evil races take, they will have to migrate. Consider the huge benefit of Dwarves just being able to waltz all over the map from mountain to mountain untouched from the evil races who cannot counter that. Sure they can't jump over the walls of your town, but even just 1 Dwarf could cause some mischief. Also, how would I see the balancing mechanism when I didn't get a copy of the map (if one was sent out). So I can only see what I have seen in this game. And what I've seen doesn't look balanced enough. You know I'm not trying to be rude in my criticism or anything, it just comes from what I'm seeing. Also, extra gold isn't useful when you have no way to spend it. Perhaps my going the way of building Storm Priests was not the best way to go, but when playing blind, you don't know what to expect.

The most important thing you seem to have overlooked is this - Goblins and Dark Elves have to keep units in the towns while they migrate. Frostlings and Humans do not. Their units are free to continue expansion while the evil races are tied up. Extra gold does not help this. Four extra units are not enough to hold both towns stable while they migrate.

I think the balancing efforts in place are a good start, but not quite up to par yet. I know I probably sound a bit whiny, but I'm only trying to help Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stoneskin

PostSubject: Re: The Fiery Gate   Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:03 pm

Day 9

A cavalryman unfortunately died during an expedition. He may still be alive if we weren't so daunting.

ts

-----------------------------------
Storm priests weren't a bad idea. I'd say sending a storm priest and a first level unit ahead was though.

Indeed, all the non starting settlements are inhabited by dwarves. I am very reluctant to change the races of the settlements on the map. I feel that I will sacrifice a lot of the map's flavor if I do so.

The extra gold isn't "extra". It's the equivalent of the income you would've had if you didn't have to migrate.

I'll give the evil races a ballista to help them out with their problems.
Back to top Go down
Master-Raiden
Overlord Warlock

PostSubject: Re: The Fiery Gate   Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:11 pm

Frostlings ~ The Ninth Day

Our assault has proved victorious. We will move on for now.

PostSubject: Re: The Fiery Gate   Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:20 pm

Hmm not sure how that'd play out. Might do the trick.

Turn sent
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stoneskin

PostSubject: Re: The Fiery Gate   Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:53 pm

Day 10

The goblin leader is trying to act smart. I cannot allow this, so I decided to march against him.

For some reason, an assassin offered to join me. Having no objections, I accepted.

ts

--------------------------------------
Nice try with the builder and the toll, Oleg.
Back to top Go down
Master-Raiden
Overlord Warlock

PostSubject: Re: The Fiery Gate   Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:31 pm

Frostlings ~ The Tenth Day

The Goblins come to us with a proposition of peace. We accept as we have always enjoyed the company of our brethren from the warmer underground.

PostSubject: Re: The Fiery Gate   Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:19 pm

Peace is made with Goblins and they offer us an alliance. We see no reason to decline it so we accept.

Turn sent
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Fiery Gate   

Back to top Go down

The Fiery Gate
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Viral Games :: Age of Wonders-
Jump to: